ILRI Ethiopia campus
The Addis Ababa campus of the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) is located on the east side of the city, close the airport and local shops. It is particularly well-located with regard to Addis Ababa’s agricultural community – the Ministry of Agriculture, the Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research, and the FAO sub-regional office are all close neighbours.The campus houses offices, laboratories and related buildings of ILRI as well as the offices of eleven partner institutes including ILRI.
To support effective research, the ILRI Addis campus provides a number of excellent and unique facilities:
- A hostel with 60 rooms, each containing private bathroom, basic kitchen facilities, internet connection, DSTV satellite TV and telephone. Hostel rooms are available for use by institutions on the campus and their visitors; they are frequently booked as part of workshop or conferences held on the campus.
- Conference facilities comprising two auditoria as well as four break-out rooms that can be configured in different settings. All the rooms have smartboards allowing video conferencing, presentations and digital flip charts. ILRI’s housing and conferencing service also provides catering services – lunches, coffee and tea, dinner and special events.
- Fast wireless internet access across the whole campus, open to visitors in all public areas.
- The ILRI InfoCentre is centrally-located and provides meeting room which has smart board with video conferencing, presentations, digital flip chart and reading facilities.
- ILRI hosts a specialized Gene bank that conserves more than 18,000 accessions of forages from over 1,000 species. The Gene bank is the world’s major collection of African grasses and tropical highland forages.
- The member-only Zebu Club provides sport and recreation facilities, including two tennis courts, two squash courts, a swimming pool, a gymnasium, children’s play area, a cafe and a bar. Visitors to the campus may use the club’s facilities; membership is open to campus residents and staff (and their families). External memberships are also available.